Concerned About Missing Teeth?
Some interesting facts about missing teeth in adults:
- More than 35 million Americans do not have any teeth
- Adults between 20 and 64 have an average of 24.92 remaining teeth
- Almost 4% of adults between 20 and 64 have no remaining teeth
- Many patients who have reached middle age have lost at least one tooth
- You are at a higher risk of losing all your teeth if you smoke
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically anchored into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge in place. The benefit of using implants is that they don't rely on neighboring teeth for support and they are permanent and stable. Implants are a good solution to tooth loss because they look and feel like natural teeth.
Implant material is made from different types of metallic and bone-like ceramic materials that are compatible with body tissue. There are different types of dental implants: the first is placed directly into the jaw bone, like natural tooth roots; the second is used when the jaw structure is limited, therefore, a custom-made metal framework fits directly on the existing bone.